Bookin' It My Way

Here you will find book related contests, links to reviews, and other fun, book related stuff.

Name:
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota

I can't imagine a world with no books in it, which is why I read and write so much.

Friday, March 16, 2007

Looking For Ward 3/17/07

March 17th, 2007

Dear Ward,

Even if I knew where to send this to, I don’t know that I would send it. What I learned today makes me so sad and crazy I feel like I’ll spontaneously combust at any moment. Boom! No more Chloe. If that happened, you wouldn’t even know about it though, now would you? So what I want to know is, are there more lies that you have been covering up, or do they stop at the ones about your name, childhood, and family life?

Today Owen drove me to your real hometown, and I met your parents. Funny, for being dead (as you had told me they were) they sure seemed awfully ALIVE! They were certainly capable of speaking – and they spoke quite a bit! You’d be amazed at what they told me. It seems you have spent time in juvenile hall, dropped out of high school, and ran away from home when you were seventeen. Oh, and your name isn’t Ward Sanders. If I ever see you again should I start calling you Will Sampson? Did you choose your new name so you wouldn’t have to order different monogrammed towels?

Your parents swore up and down that they haven’t heard from you for the last 14 years. That would make you 31 years old; another lie, huh? Where do they end? Perhaps when I find out where the hell you’ve been all this time the deception can stop. Of course, I will have to kill you after I finally find out the truth. But it will all work eventually.

Oh Ward. I never would have cared had you told me the truth from the beginning. But why did you keep all this hidden? How could you think we could possibly start a life together if you hadn’t been honest with me about the most basic stuff? Maybe you thought I wouldn’t love you anymore. If that’s the truth, then I fear for our relationship all the more.

I don’t know where you are or when you’ll be back. But I have to break up with you, now. I thought maybe writing it out would make my decision feel more real. And I need you to know, I’m not ending things because of what I found out, but because I didn’t find it from you.

So tomorrow when I get back into town I’ll tell my parents first, then I’ll notify the church and the caterers and the band and I’ll send out a big mass e-mail to all our guests. Of course they’ll all want to know where you are and I’ll have to tell them the truth. Then everyone will think I’m awful for keeping your absence hidden for so long.

That’s not the worst part though. The worst part is I’m breaking up with you via a letter that you’ll probably never even read. I think I’m going to go bawl my eyes out now.

Love,
Chloe

LAUREL OSTERKAMP
AUTHOR OF FOLLOWING MY TOES
www,laurelosterkamp.com

COPYRIGHT LAUREL OSTERKAMP 2007. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home