Bookin' It My Way

Here you will find book related contests, links to reviews, and other fun, book related stuff.

Name:
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota

I can't imagine a world with no books in it, which is why I read and write so much.

Thursday, March 08, 2007

Looking For Ward 3/9/07


Date: March 9 2007
Subject: Insurance

Are we adding Ward onto your health insurance through the store? God knows his insurance through the Y can’t be any good.

Let me know. The sooner we figure this out the better.

Dad

To: bethanyjones45@hotmail.com
From: chloelangley@origingifts.biz
Date: March 9 2007
Subject: Dinner with Owen
Bethany –
I feel like I’ve been taken over by an alien, and it’s not just because I ate greasy Chinese food and drank too much last night. However, the four Mai Tais I had probably have something to do with this raging headache of mine. Ever since Owen’s e-mails yesterday I’ve been in this kumfumbled state, and it hasn’t gone away. The alcohol only made it worse.

So, here’s what happened. I got to the Red Dragon last night just a little early. Traffic wasn’t as bad as I had thought it would be. So I take a seat and order a Mai Tai. I was really thirsty, and they are mostly fruit juice. So the first one went down really quick. I order another one. I’m about half way through it when my cell phone rings. It’s Owen, saying he’s been held up, and he’s going to be late (it’s now about 7:15, so I’m like, you already are late!) Well, I finish the second one just as easily as I finished the first. Then the waitress brings me another. I hadn’t ordered another one, but it turns out that this guy sitting at the bar did. I’m starting to feel really relaxed, so I don’t mind when he comes over to talk to me.

Because, honestly, the last few days have been pretty stressful.

I don’t remember much about the guy, except that he had long hair. But I’m listening to him go on about his job when Owen finally shows. I was sort of tipsy by this point, but I remember pretty clearly the look on Owen’s face when he saw I was hanging out with this dude.

Okay – so his hand happened to be resting on mine. But I wasn’t even aware of it until Owen’s horrified face was looming in my own. Owen practically pushes the guy out of his chair, and takes a seat across from me. He doesn’t say anything, but the evil eye he’s throwing me says it all.

“We were just talking” I say.
“Some things never change, do they Chloe?”
By now I’ve finished my drink, so I say to Owen, “Where’s the Mai Tai you promised me?”
Owen goes to the bar ( I don’t think he realized I had already had three drinks) and brings me back another Mai Tai. Soon some eggrolls appear, and Owen is talking but I’m having trouble making sense of what he’s saying. Something about Ward’s childhood and his birth certificate.

Then he goes –
“So that’s what I had to talk to Ward about. You can understand why he didn’t want you to know.”
And I’m like, “Uh, can you repeat that?”
Owen’s disgust is palpable; I can feel it despite how drunk I am. But all he says is, “Come on, I’ll drive you home.”
That’s sort of all I remember. The next thing I know I’m awake in my bed, drenched in sweat because I’m sleeping in my clothes, and I’m rushing to the toilet to be sick.
Luckily I made it to the bathroom.
But I have no idea what Owen told me about Ward.
And please, please, do not write back and tell me what a huge idiot I am. I already know.

-Chloe


Laurel Osterkamp

author of Following My Toes



Copyright Laurel Osterkamp 2007. All rights reserved.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home