Bookin' It My Way

Here you will find book related contests, links to reviews, and other fun, book related stuff.

Name:
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota

I can't imagine a world with no books in it, which is why I read and write so much.

Monday, March 05, 2007

Looking For Ward 3/6/07


From: bethanyjones45@hotmail.com
March 6 2007
Subject: Re. Owen

Chloe,
Sorry I couldn’t get back to you yesterday. I had the stomach flu and it was horrific. I did go the fitting for my dress, but I’ll have to go back because I probably lost a few pounds; the last couple of days I’ve kept absolutely nothing down. However, nannies apparently don’t get sick days, because I was still expected to watch after Emily and Ernie. Too short of notice for me to have the day off, they said. I should have complained more because I expect the kids will have caught my bug and we’ll all be miserable again. Plus, it will be my fault (by consensus).

Anyhow, I was glad to read that you have let Owen in on your secret. It was too much for you to bear alone, and I can’t help you very much all the way from NYC. I still believe you should tell your parents but I understand why you are resisting. Perhaps you are right, and it will all turn out sunny and happy and Ward will be back soon.

But Chloe – is that what you want? You have to be just a little bit angry. Even if he’s fine and there’s a perfectly good explanation, think about it. He’s escaping the final stages of wedding planning, leaving you in the lurch and having to cover for him as well. It’s not exactly a good way to begin a marriage based off of trust and openness.

Do you remember that night back in college when we went mini-golfing? Sophomore year, I think it was. You and Ward were in some sort of a fight, and I remember you let him win. Except Owen and I weren’t willing to play along, so he only came in third, with Owen in second place and me having won. I remember only because that was the first night Owen ever kissed me. I had just scored a hole in one and I was performing a little victory dance when he pulled me behind the windmill and laid one on me. You and Ward weren’t even aware, because I could hear you in the background, placating Ward as he was setting up his shot. I bring it up now because I remember thinking: is this what always happens? Do we start out attracting them with our wit and success, then finish by sacrificing ourselves to boost them up?

I realize it’s an unfair analogy, and we’ve obviously all changed since college – most of all Ward. But think about it, Chloe. Because I would hate to think that what’s happening here is that you’re sacrificing your own game while Ward is off playing by his own set of rules. And I wouldn’t be saying this if you weren’t my best friend.

So don’t be mad.
Love,
Bethany
Laurel Osterkamp
author of Following My Toes
Copyright 2007 Laurel Osterkamp. All rights reserved

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home