Bookin' It My Way

Here you will find book related contests, links to reviews, and other fun, book related stuff.

Name:
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota

I can't imagine a world with no books in it, which is why I read and write so much.

Sunday, March 04, 2007

Looking For Ward 3/5/07


From: lois_langley@yahoo.com
Date: March 5 2007
Subject: Flowers

Hi Hon.
I need to know what to say to the florist. Should we go with the entry-way arrangements? What about a trellis? What did you and Ward decide? I need to know because I’m meeting with her in a few hours.
Love,
Mom

To: lois_langley@yahoo.com
From: chloelangley@origingifts.biz
Date: March 5 2005
Subject: Re: Flowers

Mom –
Let’s skip the entry way flowers, but I think we should do the trellis. I’ve always wanted to get married underneath flowers. Just tell her to use daisies, vines, and white rosebuds.

By the way, Ward says thanks for the trip. He had to go out of town suddenly for this physical trainer convention. He’ll back in a few days.
Love you!

-Chloe

To: chloelangley@origingifts.biz
Date: March 5 2007
Subject: Last night
Chloe,
Sorry. I should have called last night before I stopped by. It was rude of me not to. Forgive me?

Owen

To: chloelangley@origingifts.biz
Date: March 5 2007
Subject: Re. Last night
Owen –
Sure. Whatever. At this point I don’t really care.

To: bethanyjones45@hotmail.com
From: chloelangley@origingifts.biz
Date: March 5 2007
Subject: Owen
Hey Bethany:
You’re right. I ought to let my parents know, and last night as I was writing the e-mail that you’ve already responded to I was ready to tell them and everyone else. Then Owen showed up. He hadn’t called, and I was pretty shocked to see him. He was all, “You’ve got to tell me what’s going on, NOW. I’m Ward’s best friend and blah, blah, blah.”

He had caught me when my defenses were down, so I went ahead and showed him Ward’s e-mail. Just in case you forgot what it said, here it is again:

Chloe,
I have to go away. I’ll explain later, but I’m not sure when that will be. I love you, and if you love me in return you’ll let me have this time, and you WON’T look for me. If you do decide to track me down, I won’t come back at all.
Please forgive me, and know I’ll be thinking of you constantly.
Love,
Ward

So Owen says, “You’re not serious. He sent this to you several days ago and you haven’t told anyone? What the hell is wrong with you?”

And then I lost it. I started to cry. I’m not proud of it, and believe me, it wasn’t intentional. Because honestly, if anyone WASN’T going to be seduced by tears it’s Owen, who has always felt I’m this spoiled little rich girl whose Daddy bought her a store (which is only partly true) but perhaps it was because my tears were so genuine that Owen was taken in. I was babbling on and on through my tears:
“I thought he’d be back by now.” And “I don’t know what to do. Do you think this is his way of dumping me?” And “What if he’s in danger?” And “Why won’t he tell me what’s going on?” And “This is all so humiliating. I don’t know what I should do about the wedding.” And finally – “He said not to look for him. I love him, and I thought I should honor that. That’s the number one reason why I haven’t told anyone. I was afraid that other people wouldn’t get it.”

Throughout my tearful diatribe Owen just looked at me like I was made of Saran Wrap. Finally, after I calmed down a little, he spoke.

“Chloe, I get it. I won’t tell anyone else. But I do think we should look for him.”
“We should look for him,” I asked.
“Yeah,” he said. “I’ll help you.”

So now I’m more confused than ever. He didn’t say how we were going to look for him. He left really soon after that, and today all I’ve heard is an apology for stopping by last night unannounced. Weird, huh?

Like everything else about this is so normal.
By the way, I just told my mom to spend $500 on a flowered trellis for Ward and me to get married underneath. It’s actually a bargain, and it will be beautiful.
Do you think I’m in denial?
Talk to you soon…
-Chloe
Laurel Osterkamp
author of Following My Toes
Copyright Laurel Osterkamp, 2007. All rights reserved.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home