Bookin' It My Way

Here you will find book related contests, links to reviews, and other fun, book related stuff.

Name:
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota

I can't imagine a world with no books in it, which is why I read and write so much.

Thursday, December 27, 2007

Lesson a Lifetieme (Movies for Women) #4 - A Holiday Affair

When I started watching this movie, I wasn't aware that it was a remake of a 1949 production that starred Janet Leigh and Robert Mitchum. The newer version stars Cynthia Gibb and David James Elliot, two stars who I've never heard of but were pleasant and good-looking enough to hold their own in the expected sort of way. Anyway, the premise is this: a young widow is still in love with her dead, heroic husband. In the Lifetime version the husband was a doctor who died saving people in a huge fire that he happened upon. Connie (the widow) still has pictures of him all over her apartment (in which he is always wearing his doctor's coat and stethoscope) and this is to let us know that she isn't over him, even though she's engaged to Tom Irwin, a nice but nerdy lawyer who is never seen without a tie on (to let us know that he's sort of uptight.)
Well, soon another guy, David James Elliot, enters the picture. He's a dreamer, doesn't hold a job, but he builds things. And while he wears vests a lot, he never wears ties (to let us know that he's a lot of fun). He falls both for Connie and her young son, and convinces her that she needs to move on and let go of the past. Then, after only having known her for a few days, he asks her to marry him.
All of this takes place during Christmas.
Anyway, in the end, Connie has to choose between security and safety (Tom Irwin) and love and excitement (David James Elliot). Any guesses what her decision is? I'll give you a hint – the final shot is of Connie, her son, and the fella she chooses, riding away on a train at the stroke of midnight, after having just shared a passionate embrace (the son was sort of a bystander for the embrace.)
I actually liked this movie; it was fun to watch and laugh at, yet at the same time I got into the story more than I wanted to admit to myself. Several days later I started watching the original version on TCM, and didn't enjoy it as much. Robert Mitchum, who was not the typical romantic-comedy hero, came off as sort of an ass. I know it's not very PC of me, but in this case, I'd have to say that the newer modern version is better.
But what did I learn? Well, here you go:
1. Health insurance doesn't matter, and it's okay to give up your own job and move away with your young son to live with some cute but aimless guy who you've known for less than a month.
2. I've grown cynical if that's what I'm thinking about while watching a romantic movie.
3. We really need to create universal health care so I can start enjoying romantic comedies again.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home